***Please check our page for weather related cancellations or call HSW 845-778-5115***
Whether you amble, ramble, or scramble…we have a walk for you…and the dogs to go with it. All paces welcome – meandering to marathon! Our shelter dogs LOVE strolling in the woods of Winding Hills Park.
We are asking volunteers to signup for each weeks walk using the below scheduler.
Meet us at the shelter at 9:30 a.m. on Sundays to be matched with the perfect pup. Walking guidelines will be discussed. We will transport the dogs in our van (we can hold 4-5 dogs only) or you can use your car. We are usually back at the shelter by noon.
Masks and social distancing are required.
Canine benefits from our Sunday morning walks:
- much-needed break from the shelter environment
- dogs are engaged during outings in the park; barking, spinning, and jumping behaviors fade away.
- dogs return to the shelter happy, tired, and ready to relax.
- provides an opportunity to reinforce basic commands in a new environment
- provides the dogs an opportunity to socialize with strangers, make a good impression, and maybe even find a forever home
- exposure to other dogs in the park and can practice and show off their good manners.
- excellent source of exercise and the best gift you can give to these pups – short of adopting one
The complete list of walking rules will be further discussed upon your arrival at HSW. Here are some highlights:
- New Volunteers: For your first walk with HSW you will be paired with a Senior Dog Walker Volunteer and their dog onsite. A dog handling orientation is also required. The orientations are held on second Saturday’s at 11 am at HSW.
- Pay attention: You are responsible for the dog’s safety. Please be aware of your surroundings at all times.
Strangers: Don’t allow strangers to approach and pet your dog. Politely tell them the dog is in training and if they would like to meet them please visit HSW.
- Dog Interaction: Our dogs are great and love to be pet, but please keep your face away from theirs and do not give hugs. This helps ensure both you and the dog stay comfortable.
- 10-foot rule: There’s plenty of room so keep all dogs 10 feet from one another. For the safety of everyone no socialization between our dogs or other dogs in the park.
- Harness and leash: Periodically check your leash and harness to make sure they are secure.
No smoking: Please no smoking around the dogs.
- No cell phone use: To help prevent a potential distraction cell phone use is prohibited while you are holding the leash. The HSW guide can take photos of you and your walking buddy if you’d like.
- Doggie bags: We’ll supply you bags and treats. Please remember to pick up after your walking buddy or alert a “guide”.
- Close-toed shoes: Must be worn for the dog walk.
- Required age: Walkers must be at least 21 years old to hold the leash.
This program is separate from volunteering at the shelter. If you’d like to volunteer at the facility or off site adoption events you must complete an orientation. Many times after the dog walk an orientation will be offered to those who are interested.
Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Hope to see you on Sunday!