Sunday Dog Walk
Please check our page for weather related cancellations or call HSW 845-778-5115
Whether you amble, ramble, or scramble…we have a walk for you…and the dogs to go with it. All paces welcome – meandering to marathon! Our shelter dogs LOVE strolling in the woods of Winding Hills Park.
We are asking volunteers to signup for each weeks walk using the below scheduler.
Meet us at the shelter at 9:30 a.m. on Sundays to be matched with the perfect pup. Walking guidelines will be discussed. We will transport the dogs in our van (we can hold 4-5 dogs only) or you can use your car. We are usually back at the shelter by noon.
Masks and social distancing are required.
Canine benefits from our Sunday morning walks:
- much-needed break from the shelter environment
- dogs are engaged during outings in the park; barking, spinning, and jumping behaviors fade away.
- dogs return to the shelter happy, tired, and ready to relax.
- provides an opportunity to reinforce basic commands in a new environment
- provides the dogs an opportunity to socialize with strangers, make a good impression, and maybe even find a forever home
- exposure to other dogs in the park and can practice and show off their good manners.
- excellent source of exercise and the best gift you can give to these pups – short of adopting one
The complete list of walking rules will be further discussed upon your arrival at HSW. Here are some highlights:
- New Dog Walk Volunteers: Every new dog walking volunteer must complete a 30-45 minute training session on-site at HSW. The orientations take place on the second Saturday of every month at 11 am. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Pay attention: You are responsible for the dog’s safety. Please be aware of your surroundings at all times.
- Strangers: Don’t allow strangers to approach and pet your dog. Politely tell them the dog is in training and if they would like to meet them please visit HSW.
- New Place: Please do not take our dogs into dogs parks or public stores of any kind.
- Dog Interaction: Our dogs are great and love to be pet, but please keep your face away from theirs and do not give hugs. This helps ensure both you and the dog stay comfortable.
- 10-foot rule: There’s plenty of room so keep all dogs 10 feet from one another. For the safety of everyone no socialization between our dogs or other dogs in the park.
- Harness and leash: Staff will get the dog you are walking harnessed and leashed for you. Please do not remove any harnesses, collar, or leash(es) that a dog is wearing. They are there for the safety of the dog. Staff will show you the proper and safe way to hold each dog’s leash(es). Periodically check your leash and harness to make sure they are secure.
- No smoking: Please no smoking around the dogs.
- No cell phone use: To help prevent a potential distraction cell phone use is prohibited while you are holding the leash. The HSW guide can take photos of you and your walking buddy if you’d like.
- Doggie bags: We’ll supply you bags and treats. Please remember to pick up after your walking buddy or alert a “guide”.
- Close-toed shoes: Sneakers or boots must be worn to walk an HSW dog. No crocs or sandals of any kind.
- Required age: Walkers must be at least 21 years old to hold the leash.
- Kennel: If you are transporting your dog in a kennel, please keep the leash on. To ensure a smooth exit from the kennel secure the leash handle outside of the kennel (we can show you). If you have a leash biter, use a chain leash. HSW staff will help ensure that your walking buddy is properly outfitted, please listen to their guidance and feel free to ask questions.
- No Kennel: If you are transporting your dog outside a kennel, you must secure the leash in your vehicle. A good place to secure the leash is around the handle that is above most car doors. This keeps you and the dog safe in case you have to stop short. It also prevents the dog from exiting the vehicle before you are ready.
- Car Windows: Car windows must be closed far enough that the dog cannot stick their head out the window.
- Dog Enrichment Board: After the walk, please use the Dog Enrichment Board that is located in the lobby and/or make sure you connect with your “guide” for the walk or an HSW staff member. We’d like any feedback you have on the dog’s behavior and appearance. For example: if you notice a tick or flea on the dog.
The orientation for this program is separate from volunteering indoors at the shelter. If you’d like to volunteer at the facility or off site adoption events you must complete an orientation.
Please e-mail email@example.com with any questions.
Hope to see you on Sunday!