Meet us at the shelter at 9:30 a.m. on Sundays to be matched with the perfect pup. Walking guidelines will be discussed. We will transport the dogs in our van (we can hold 3 dogs only) or you can use your car. We are usually back at the shelter by noon. Please note dog walkers must be at least 16 yrs old and close toed shoes must be worn.
Whether you amble, ramble, or scramble…we have a walk for you…and the dogs to go with it. All paces welcome – meandering to marathon! Our shelter dogs LOVE strolling in the woods. Here’s how the dogs benefit from our Sunday morning walks:
They get a much-needed break from the shelter environment
The dogs are totally engaged during outings in the park. Barking, spinning, and jumping behaviors fade away.
The dogs return to the shelter happy, tired, and ready to relax.
Park outings provide an opportunity to reinforce basic commands in a new environment.
Walking in the park provides the dogs an opportunity to socialize with strangers, make a good impression, and maybe even find a forever home.
Shelter dogs are exposed to other dogs in the park and can practice and show off their good manners.
These outings are an excellent source of exercise and the best gift you can give to these pups – short of adopting one!
Please be sure to keep the following guidelines in mind:
- -Our dogs are great and love to be pet, but please keep your face away from theirs and do not give hugs. This helps to ensure both you and the dog stay comfortable. 👍🏻
- -Close toed shoes must be worn. 👟
- -Walkers must be at least 16 years of age.
- -There’s plenty of room so let’s keep all dogs 10 feet from one another.
- -Please no smoking around the dogs. 🚭
- -Pick up after your walking buddy or alert a “guide”. 💩
- -Talk to your pal during the walk and encourage good behavior. Asking him/her to sit and rewarding with a treat is good practice. 👌🏻
- -Feel free to ask your “guide” any questions and have fun! 😃🐶
This program is separate from volunteering at the shelter. If you’d like to volunteer at the facility or off sites you must complete an orientation. Many times after the dog walk an orientation will be offered to those who are interested.
Be sure to check for rain dates or cancellations due to holidays.
Hope to see you on Sunday! Please e-mail email@example.com if you’re interested and with any questions.