Whether you amble, ramble, or scramble…we have a walk for you…and the dogs to go with it. All paces welcome – meandering to marathon! Our shelter dogs LOVE strolling in the woods of Winding Hills Park. Meet us at the Humane Society of Walden (HSW) at 9:30 a.m. on Sundays to be matched with the perfect pup. Walking guidelines will be discussed. HSW will transport some of the dogs in our van (we can hold 3 dogs only) or you can use your car. We return to HSW by noon.
Canine benefits from our Sunday morning walks:
- much-needed break from the shelter environment
- dogs are engaged during outings in the park; barking, spinning, and jumping behaviors fade away.
- dogs return to the shelter happy, tired, and ready to relax.
- provides an opportunity to reinforce basic commands in a new environment
- provides the dogs an opportunity to socialize with strangers, make a good impression, and maybe even find a forever home
- exposure to other dogs in the park and can practice and show off their good manners.
- excellent source of exercise and the best gift you can give to these pups – short of adopting one
Please be sure to keep the following guidelines in mind:
- Our dogs are great and love to be pet, but please keep your face away from theirs and do not give hugs. This helps to ensure both you and the dog stay comfortable.
- Close-toed shoes must be worn
- Walkers must be at least 16 years of age
- There’s plenty of room so let’s keep all dogs 10 feet from one another
- Please no smoking around the dogs
- Pick up after your walking buddy or alert a “guide”
- Talk to your pal during the walk and encourage good behavior. Asking him/her to sit and rewarding with a treat is good practice.
- Feel free to ask your “guide” any questions and have fun
This program is separate from volunteering at the shelter. If you’d like to volunteer at the facility or off site adoption events you must complete an orientation. Many times after the dog walk an orientation will be offered to those who are interested.
Hope to see you on Sunday!