Ten Health Reasons why Pets are Great for Seniors
1) Pets Lower Blood Pressure: A study of health patients showed that people over 40 who own pets had lower blood pressure than people who did not have pets. Another study showed that talking to pets decreases blood pressure.
2) Fewer Trips to the Doctor: Seniors who own dogs go to the doctor less than those who do not. In a study of 1,000 Medicare patients, even the most highly stressed dog owner/guardians in the study had 21% fewer physician contacts than people without a dog.
3) Less Depression: Studies show that seniors with pets do not become depressed as often as those without pets.
4) Easier to Make Friends: Seniors with pets meet more people and like to talk about their pets.
5) Seniors Become More Active: Seniors with dogs go for more walks and are generally more active than those without pets.
6) Pets are Friends: Most everyone, but especially seniors, will say that their pets are their friends.
7) Pets Ease Loss: Older people who suffer the loss of a spouse who own a pet are less likely to experience a deterioration in their health following this stressful event.
8) Pets Fight Loneliness: You are less likely to be lonely with a canine or feline friend around.
9) Taking Better Care of Themselves: Seniors take good care of their pets and better care of themselves when they own a pet.
10) Sense of Security: Pets help seniors feel that someone they trust is always around.
Volunteer at the Humane Society of Walden
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from the Humane Society of Walden.
You have Successfully Subscribed!
The Humane Society of Walden is a no-kill, non-profit safe haven dedicated to helping stray and abandoned cats and dogs. Our animal shelter serves the communities of Montgomery, Walden, Maybrook, Crawford, Wawarsing, Shawangunk, and Mamakating, but will not turn away pets from across the country in need.
Humane Society of Walden
2489 Albany Post Road
Walden, New York 12586