Board of Directors Meeting 7:00 pm
A Walk in the Park Dog Walk 9:30 am
Volunteer Orientation 1:00 pm
Volunteer Orientation @ Humane Society of Walden NY
Jan 20 @ 1:00 pm – 2:00 pm
Volunteers make everything we do possible. Let us know your interests and availability, and we will find a volunteer position that is right for you. Grooming, socializing with the animals, practicing basic commands with dogs,[...]
Volunteer at the Humane Society of Walden
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from the Humane Society of Walden.
You have Successfully Subscribed!
The Humane Society of Walden is a no-kill, non-profit safe haven dedicated to helping stray and abandoned cats and dogs. Our animal shelter serves the communities of Montgomery, Walden, Maybrook, Crawford, Wawarsing, Shawangunk, and Mamakating, but will not turn away pets from across the country in need.
Humane Society of Walden
2489 Albany Post Road
Walden, New York 12586
Whether you amble, ramble, or scramble…we have a walk for you…and the dogs to go with it. All paces welcome – meandering to marathon! Our shelter dogs LOVE strolling in the woods of Winding Hills Park. Meet us at the Humane Society of Walden (HSW) at 9:30 a.m. on Sundays. HSW will transport some of the dogs in our van (we can hold 3 dogs only) or you can use your car. We return to HSW by noon.
Canine benefits from our Sunday morning walks:
- much-needed break from the shelter environment
- dogs are engaged during outings in the park; barking, spinning, and jumping behaviors fade away.
- dogs return to the shelter happy, tired, and ready to relax
- provides an opportunity to reinforce basic commands in a new environment
- provides the dogs an opportunity to socialize with strangers, make a good impression, and maybe even find a forever home
- exposure to other dogs in the park and can practice and show off their good manners
- excellent source of exercise and the best gift you can give to these pups – short of adopting one
The complete list of walking rules will be further discussed upon your arrival at HSW. Here are some highlights:
- New Volunteers: For your first walk with HSW you will be paired with a Senior Dog Walker Volunteer and their dog. After the walk there is a 15-20 minute dog orientation.
- Stay Alert: You are responsible for the dog’s safety. Please be aware of your surroundings at all times.
- Strangers: Don’t allow strangers to approach and pet your dog. Politely tell them the dog is in training and if they would like to meet them please visit HSW.
- Dog Interaction: Our dogs are great and love to be pet, but please keep your face away from theirs and do not give hugs. This helps ensure both you and the dog stay comfortable.
- 10-foot rule: There’s plenty of room so keep all dogs 10 feet from one another. For the safety of everyone no socialization between our dogs or other dogs in the park.
- Harness and leash: Periodically check your leash and harness to make sure they are secure
- No smoking: Please no smoking around the dogs.
- No cell phone use: To help prevent a potential distraction cell phone use is prohibited while you are holding the leash. The HSW guide can take photos of you and your walking buddy if you’d like.
- Doggie bags: We’ll supply you bags and treats. Please remember to pick up after your walking buddy or alert a “guide”.
- Close-toed shoes: Must be worn for the dog walk.
- Required age: Walkers must be at least 21 years old to hold the leash.
This program is separate from volunteering at the shelter. If you’d like to volunteer at the facility or off site adoption events you must complete an orientation. Many times after the dog walk an orientation will be offered to those who are interested.
Hope to see you on Sunday!
Come shop our Yard Sale room! There’s something for everyone! All proceeds benefit the cats and dogs in our care.
We accept donations on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 10:30 am -1:00 pm. Except Holidays. Any donations over 3 boxes please call 845-778-5115 to make an appointment.
**Donations can not be accepted on Yard Sale days.**
Please do not leave any items outside the yard sale room (as the elements may ruin them) or inside the lobby.
The following is a list of items we CANNOT accept:
- Exercise equipment
- Large furniture
- Stuffed animals
- VHS tapes
- Religious items
- Destination items
Thank you for your continued support.